Scheduled Tribes in India, as recognised the Constitution of the Indian Republic; a total of 645 district tribes. The term "Scheduled Tribes" refers to specific indigenous peoples whose status is acknowledged to some formal degree by national legislation. A collective term in use locally to describe most of these peoples is "Upajati".
- pre-agriculture level of technology
- stagnant or declining population
- extremely low literacy
- subsistence level of economy
The Scheduled Tribes are notified in 30 States/UTs and the number of individual ethnic groups, etc. notified as Scheduled Tribes is 705. The tribal population of the country, as per 2011 census, is 10.43 crore, constituting 8.6% of the total population. 89.97% of them live in rural areas and 10.03% in urban areas. The decadal population growth of the tribal’s from Census 2001 to 2011 has been 23.66% against the 17.69% of the entire population.
Broadly the STs inhabit two distinct geographical area – the Central India and the North- Eastern Area. More than half of the Scheduled Tribe population is concentrated in Central India, i.e., Madhya Pradesh (14.69%), Chhattisgarh (7.5%), Jharkhand (8.29%), Andhra Pradesh (5.7%), Maharashtra (10.08%), Orissa (9.2%), Gujarat (8.55%) and Rajasthan (8.86%). The other distinct area is the North East (Assam, Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur, Meghalaya, Tripura, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh).
|SN||States & UTs||Percentage of ST|
|11||Jammu & Kashmir||11.90|
|32||Daman & Diu||0.01|
|*Sources: Statistical Profile STs in India 2013, Ministry of Tribal Affairs|
Budget Allocation for 2018-19
Recent Event for Empowering ST Teachers & Youth
- Empowering ST Teachers/Educators/Trainers/Counsellors/Corporate to do hand holding of Tribal Youth of India — 01 September, 2016 in Bhubaneswar, Odisha | Brochure & Roadmap
Reports & Schemes
- Empowerment of Tribal Women
- Scheme of Centres of Excellence
- Vocational Training Centres in Tribal Areas
- Post Matric Scholarship (PMS) for ST Students
- National Fellowship and Scholarship for Higher Education of ST Students
- Scholarship to the Student of ST for studies abroad
A Song by ST Students
Copyright ©2013-2019 New Gen Skills Institute Private Limited.